April 02, 2008

Apologia pro studio suo
By Brendan Carroll
Contributing Columnist, The Daily Princetonian
Published: Monday, March 10th, 2008

"My roommate will hate me for writing this, but it really should be said. Every student on this campus ought to take the four-course Humanities Sequence (HUM 216-219), Princeton's best method of introducing its undergraduates to 26 centuries of the Western canon..."

On learning and the liberal education
By Michael Medeiros
Columnist, The Daily Princetonian
Published: Tuesday, April 1st, 2008

"Though I think it's wonderful that Princeton offers the HUM sequence, I must respectfully disagree with Carroll's argument that every student ought to pursue it..."

---
From Princeton course infomation regarding the above: Message to students (pdf) interested in Humanistic Studies 216-219: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Western Culture, from Antiquity to the Modern Period: History, Philosophy, Religion, Literature and the Arts

1 comment:

Tim Lacy said...

I like Carroll's enthusiasm, even if I might quibble with his style. - TL